Lately, you noticed that your elderly loved one has been soiling his undergarments here and there, but he has not brought it up in conversation with you. You see traces of incontinence on the toilet seat, on the bathroom floor, along the hallway, and on a dining room chair. When you finally do bring it up in conversation, your loved ones claim that they don’t know when it’s actually happening. You may wonder, “How does my dad not know that he is going on himself at the dining table?” Before you initiate a talk with your elderly loved one, it’s important to understand the six types of incontinence:
- Reflex incontinence – when feces or urine exits a person’s body through an abnormal opening or leak
- Stress incontinence – results from damaged pelvic muscles which cause the bladder to leak during movement
- Urge incontinence – produced by sudden bladder contraction that cannot be controlled or inhibited
- Mixed incontinence – combination of urge and stress incontinence
- Overflow incontinence – when urine exceeds bladder holding capacity
- Incontinence from surgery – post-operative incontinence induced by procedures such as hysterectomies and rectal surgery
24-Hour Incontinence Care
Live-in care is one of the most popular senior care options for incontinence because it kills two birds with one stone: for one, you as the daughter or son do not have to deal with awkwardness in cleaning up after your elderly loved one; and two, professional 24-hour incontinence care preserves your loved one’s dignity and privacy.
About A-1 Home Care
Established in 1991, A-1 Home Care has been delivering high quality in-home care services of all types: Alzheimer’s Care, Heart Disease Care, Traumatic Brain Injury Care, After-Surgery Care, Parkinson’s Care, Lou Gehrig’s Care, Multiple Sclerosis Care, 24 hour care, live-out care and more. Licensed, bonded and insured, A-1 Home Care not only aims to provide exceptional senior care but also serves to protect the aging community from scam artists, predators, theft and fraud. Each caregiver is carefully and meticulously screened through a national criminal background check. All references are verified, and your safety and satisfaction are 100% guaranteed!
For quality incontinence care, call A-1 Home Care today (818) 980-0094 or visit us at www.burbankinhomecare.com for services in Burbank, Glendale, Glendora, Hollywood, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and other cities in LA County.